This specialty of dentistry deals with the study of supporting structures of teeth, as well as diseases and conditions that affect them.
The supporting tissues are known as the periodontium, which includes the gingiva (gums), alveolar bone, cementum, and the periodontal ligament. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease.
i.Perform dental scaling diagnostic tests of periodontal diseases.
ii. To use the instruments for periodontal therapy and maintenance of the same.
The student shall develop attitude to;
i. Impart the preventive measures namely, the prevention of periodontal
diseases and prevention of the progress of the disease.
ii.student will be able to instruct oral hygiene instructions in patients according to the different periodontal diseases.
the end of the course the students of dental hygiene will be able to:
appropriate and individualized self-care regimens.
oral health education in different
communities and outreach programs.
preventive health behaviors by personally striving to maintain optimal
oral and general health.
a wellness philosophy that promotes healthy lifestyles for staff and
patients/clients into the practice of dental hygiene and/ or the workplace.
patients/clients to assume responsibility
for their health and promote adherence to self-care regimens.
fluoride applications, fissure sealants and atraumatic restorative treatment in clinical settings.
- Teacher: Sidra Maqsood
COURSE CODE: DM-601
PLACEMENT: YEAR:3rd SEMESTER: VI
The Study of composition and properties of dental materials and the manner in which they interact with the environment they are placed. Science Of Dental Materials Science of dental materials is a basic science which deals with physical, mechanical, and biological properties of dental materials. The study of Science of dental materials gives the operator a basic knowledge about the materials. This helps to choose a material and allow him/her to effectively manipulate it. The Science of Dental Materials: “Why are we studying this field?”
1. for the knowledge to make an optimal selection of materials
2. To understand the behavior of the materials, use, handling, manipulation
3. Safety considerations of the materials
4. Patient education regarding dental restoratives
5. Recognition of materials – proper care of prosthodontic restorations
6. Understand the professional literature.
- Understanding the science of Dental Materials.
- Identify various gypsum products, their reactions & their usage.
- Identify various impression materials, their physical applications & usage.
- Identify various dental waxes, their physical applications & their usage.
- Describe the purpose of separating materials & demonstrate their proper usage.
- Describe the various types of acrylic resins, their physical & chemical properties & their usage.
- Describe the various dental burs & abrasives, & demonstrate their usage.
- Use appropriate terminology with respect to dental materials.
- Identify the alloys used in dentistry.
- Define metal structures.
- ·Identify dental casting investments.
- Identify dental soldering investments.
- To understand chemistry, properties classification & usage of different direct & indirect restorative material.
- To understand mixing & manipulation different dental materials used in Dentistry.
MODE OF LEARNING :-
Theory & Practical
COURSE PLAN :-
1-Introduction to Restorative Materials
7-Finishing & Polishing Materials
8-Prosthodontic Lab Equipments
GRADING POLICY :-
· Student attitude
· Class test
Assessment method used during course is BCQS.
The placement of this subject is in 3rd year, semester-VI of BS-DCP (Dental Hygiene and
Dental Technology). The purpose of this course is to gain understanding and enhance
knowledge about clinical pharmacology, Drugs administration, History taking and
examination, techniques of local anesthesia, sharpening and maintenance of instruments,
analysis of Radiological X rays and Sterilization
At the end of this course, the dental professional will be able to understand the concepts of:
1. Procedure for pre-surgery patient evaluation and diagnostic tests.
2. Protocol for oral surgery in hospitals.
3. Techniques for maintaining patients undergoing oral surgery.
4. Preoperative complications in medically compromised patients.
5. Procedures for managing medical emergencies.
6. Possible post-operative medical problems.
7. Assist procedures under sedative and anesthetic emergencies.
8. Assist procedures for treating maxillofacial trauma.
9. Assist in diagnosing and treating infections.
The placement of this subject is in 3RD year, semester-VI of BS-DCP (Dental Hygiene & dental technologist). The purpose of this course is to enhance knowledge and understanding of students about management of tooth discoloration and enlighten them on how to effectively promote patients proper esthetics.
Students will be able,By the end of this course
To Record History, Examination the patients and make diagnosis related to restorative dentistry
Understanding the approaches for restoration of esthetics and uses of veneers, inlays,on-lay & crown
Identify the management of tooth discoloration
Categorized hue, chroma, value and color of natural tooth
Describe the purpose for restorative materials & demonstrate their proper usage.
Understand the basic and advance concepts of (intraoral X-ray taking techniques)
Student will be able to the end of session Post-Operative care instructions after crown /veneer/on-lays cementations.
At the end of the session the student will be able to understand the types of restorative material.
To understand restorative material mixing(GIC & AMALGAM)
- Teacher: Sumer Mallick
- Teacher: Madiha Shabbir