This specialty of dentistry deals with the study of supporting structures of teeth, as well as diseases and conditions that affect them.
The supporting tissues are known as the periodontium, which includes the gingiva (gums), alveolar bone, cementum, and the periodontal ligament. A periodontist is a dentist that specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease.
· Describe the functions of cementum.
· Differentiate between cellular and accellular cementum.
· Describe the three possible locations of the CEJ.
· Estimate the location of the crestal bone in relation to the CEJ, attachment level, and probing depth.
· Explain the biologic width.
· Summarize the limitations of probing.
· Contrast probing in health and disease.
· Discuss the significance of bleeding on probing as it relates to disease.
The purpose of this course is to enhance knowledge and understanding of students aboutmanagement of basic preventive dentistry procedure.The placement of this subject is in 4th year, semester-VIII, of BS-DCP (Dental Hygiene).Preventive Dentistry deals with the maintenance and promotion of overall health statusand prevention from diseased status at every level.
preventive dentistry is the practice of caring for teeth to keep them healthy.This help to avoid the cavities, gums disease,enamel wear,and more.there are many forms of preventive dentistry,such as daily brushing and dental charting
By the end of this course. Students will be able
1. History, Examination and diagnosis related to preventive dentistry.
2. Proper Record making for dental charting
3. Identify the management fluorosis
4. Acknowledgement of basic sterilization &role of aseptic environment.
5. Student will be able to the end of session patients instruct Post-Operative care after
Student will be able to the end of session patients instruct diet counseling after
7. Do Technique fissure sealant application on phantom/extracted tooth .
8. Describe the purpose for restorative materials & demonstrate their proper usage.
9. To understand restorative material mixing(GIC & AMALGAM)
10. At the end of the session the student will be able to understand the types of restorative
11. Understand the basic and advance concepts of (intraoral X-ray taking techniques)
placement of this subject is in 4TH year, semester-VIII of BS-DCP
(Dental Hygiene). The purpose of this course is to enhance knowledge and
understanding of students about management of dental disease in primary
dentition and enlighten them on how to effectively promote patients proper oral
hygiene in children.
By the end of this course, the students must be able to:
1. Understand the basic & advance concepts of Management of dental caries in pediatric patients.
2. students will be able to Record History & Examination
3. Explain the use of fluoride modalities4. Management of traumatic injuries in primary dentition
- Teacher: Sumer Mallick
Endodontic dentistry is the specialty that deals consist of a series of treatments, including removing pulpal tissue, filling and shaping root canals, obturating the root canal space, and placing a permanent restoration for the tooth.
- After establishing some level of disease control, endodontic therapy can then be completed.
- This course has been divided into two parts, where lectures and practical work will be covered over period 4 months, where the first part has already been covered by
- students in semester VIII. The course will help students understand and identify the infectious diseases in the tooth.
- The practical component will enlighten them with the basic information and skill of identifying stages of dental diseases and providing and practicing effective methods of health care delivery. The entire process goes with the mission and vision of the university.
- The endodontist (Dental Surgeon), and the dental hygienist that may be realized to serve as endodontic co-therapists in the delivery of endodontic treatment. An endodontic co-therapist is an individual who participates with the endodontist in the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of treatment.
- Dental hygienists are ideal individuals for this role because of their education in basic, clinical, and behavioral sciences. Suggestions are provided for which services could be delegated by the endodontist to the dental hygienist during each phase of care. Advantages of this contemporary approach to the delivery of endodontic treatment are also addressed.
- Teacher: Saeeda Soomro
By the end of this course students will be able to understand basic research skills, identify different research methodologies, study types, appropriate use of data collection tools, various sampling techniques. The students will also be able to differentiate between various study designs. It will equip students with certain statistical methods and students will be able to demonstrate basic knowledge of research process
- Teacher: Madiha Shabbir